papaphysix

Monday, May 16, 2005

How it all started...


Daniel & Faith

What is your idea about God? If you think that He is an old man who is out-of-date, seated in heaven and oblivious of what is going on here on Earth, then you are terribly wrong! He brought me and my wife together through modern technology: EMAIL!

Dec 1996: I mass-mailed to a couple of people from my church to share about how I experienced in my exams and Faith (my wife) was the only one who did not reply. I tried again hoping to know why and she replied that she did not know how to respond to the mail as I sounded too spiritual! We started off from there, sharing about our experiences and over time, it became our daily routine to email each other. Even though we see each other in church every weekend, we did not talk to each other as we are both too shy to do it face to face.

I developed a liking for her gradually because we realised that we are of the same frequency and we can be very frank with each other. I started hinting it to her subtly by signing off differently: From "In His Love, Daniel" to "In His Love and Mine, Daniel". I think she got the hint but she acted as if nothing happened.

Finally, on 8th May 1997, I could not take it anymore and wrote her a letter to honestly express my feelings. She read it and shyly agreed to a meal @ Mac. We talked and she verbally agreed to be my stead! Being very inexperienced and blur as usual, I walked her to the bus stop and see her go up the bus by herself! I did not accompany her all the way home! (She later told me that I was really like a block of wood!).

We went through quite some difficulties in the beginning as I was one year younger and her parents are not very supportive of that. We prayed hard and our perseverance finally paid off eventually when her parents got to know me better. We went on for about 2 and a half years before tying the knots on 9 Dec 2000.

We had a simple wedding (no wedding album - we both don't like taking photos, no wedding dinner - managed to persuade my dad especially when I am the only son, no fancy car - borrowed a white Toyota corolla car with Precious Moments dolls in front, no fancy suit/wedding gown - She designed her gown and tailored made it for $70). We just had ROM and a church wedding reception.

We saved all the money to go backpacking in Europe for honeymoon. It was one of the most enjoyable moments of our life! We went to

London (watched 2 musicals (Les Miserables & La Cava), celebrated New Year there by watching a musical concert on TV, bought my Fossil watch which I wear and love up to today),

Paris (went to the top of Eiffel tower, ate Quickie fastfood (we loved it - cheap and nice), avoided plenty of dog faeces on the streets, took the Metro train, bought some dresses for our future daughters),

Florence (saw the statue of David by Michelangelo and plenty of artistic stuff, loved their houses),

Pisa (A side trip from Florence by train to visit the leaning tower. ate the best pizzas along the way)

Venice (almost got lost in this water city, it's not as romantic as we thought but we still enjoy its scenery),

Zurich (we almost got robbed (someone rocked our doors violently in the middle of the night)while taking the night train to this beautiful city in Switzerland, luckily we tied our doors tightly with ropes - Thank God that idea worked! we stayed at the church meeting hall and was warmly welcomed by a Swiss family, went to Mt. Titlis (not sure of the spelling) which was spectacular from above),

Stuggart (The Swiss family drove us to this part of Germany for a church camp. We really touched God and enjoyed our fellowship with the Christians there),

Paris (We went back to this city and stayed with a French sister-in-Christ who treated us very well. For the first time, Faith stepped on the dog faeces and I did my part as her husband to clean it off for her),

London (We finally came back to this city to catch one more musical (Whisper down the Wind) before heading back to Singapore!)

Coming soon will be the honeymoon photos...